Research Scientist- Fats and Oils
Sweden, Västra Götalands län [SE-14], Gothenburg
Melt&Marble’s mission is to enable the transition towards a more sustainable food system. We do this by using precision fermentation to develop the best and tastiest fats for plant-based foods. By engineering microbial metabolism, we can brew animal-free fats that mimic the structures and sensory properties of animal fats. The result: tastier foods, for people and the planet.
We are expanding our team and looking to attract enthusiastic & mission-driven people to join us on our journey.
We are looking for a motivated scientist with solid experience in lipid chemistry to work on application development for Melt&Marble’s fats. You will be our in-house expert on fat/oil functionality and part of our new food science division, working together with 2-3 colleagues. As one of the first employees in the food science division, you will have a strong influence on the product/application development direction at Melt&Marble, and will work cross-functionally with the other teams in the company to define further product iterations and help guide commercial strategy.
Our ideal candidate should have a strong track record in lipid chemistry, strong organizational skills, and a passion for using science & technology to solve tough challenges. The candidate should also be comfortable working in the dynamic environment of a start-up company, dealing with changes and constant iterations, troubleshooting challenging projects, and meeting tight deadlines.
Occasionally, some activities may require working outside of standard working hours. The position might require travel within Sweden and abroad.
- Assisting in defining target compositions and performance metrics for fats & oils for priority applications (e.g. meat & dairy analogues)
- Defining evaluation methodologies and criteria for assessment of different fats & oils
- Evaluating the physical, chemical, and organoleptic properties of different fats and oils based on above criteria
- Testing fats and oils in different alternative protein matrices
- Developing new formulations of Melt&Marble fats & oils in priority applications
- Developing criteria and tests for lipid quality analysis/control
- Preparing spec sheets for Melt&Marble fats & oils
- Liaising with external stakeholders (e.g. service providers, customers)
- Maintaining detailed records of experiments and results in Melt&Marble’s data management system
- Preparing technical reports, SOPs, and presentations
- Assisting in coordinating regulatory approval of Melt&Marble ingredients
- Msc/PhD in Biochemistry, Food Chemistry/Science/Technology, Chemistry, or another relevant subject
- >3 years of experience studying the structure and functional properties of fats & oils, preferably in an industrial setting
- Solid familiarity with standard methods for lipid studies (e.g. AOCS)
- Deep understanding of lipid chemistry, including thermal behaviour, oxidation/degradation, crystallization behaviour, and behaviour in food matrices (interactions with proteins & other lipids, water, hydrocoloids, etc.)
- Experience with analytical methods and instruments to assess lipid quality (e.g. PV, AV, IV, etc.) and composition (e.g. GC-MS/FID, HPLC, lipidomics, etc.)
- Experience with methods to assess lipid thermal behaviour (e.g. DSC, NMR)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Experience in analysis of the rheological properties of fats
- Experience working with lipids in meat and dairy analogues
- Experience in designing in conducting sensory tests for fats & oils
- Experience in developing intellectual property
- Experience/knowledge of regulatory approval for novel food ingredients
- Swedish/EU citizen or permanent resident
- An innovative, interdisciplinary, and fun research environment where you can advance in your career
- Unique opportunity to participate in innovative projects that solve real world problems
- Work in the lovely city of Gothenburg- Sweden’s second-largest city. Gothenburg is a seaside city that offers a great combination of city life and beautiful surrounding nature
- Flexible work hours, competitive remuneration, generous vacation package, benefits
Applications should contain the following:
- Cover letter- tell us about what excites you about this space and why you think that you’re a great fit for Melt&Marble (300 words max)
- Publication list (if relevant)
- References: contact information of 2 current/former supervisors and 1 current/former colleague
Application deadline: Rolling. We encourage interested candidates to apply early as applications might be evaluated as they are received.
If you have any questions about the position, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.