Research Assistant- Metabolic Engineering
Sweden, Västra Götalands län [SE-14], Gothenburg
Melt&Marble’s mission is to enable the transition towards a more sustainable food system. We do this by using precision fermentation to develop the best and tastiest fats for plant-based foods. By engineering microbial metabolism, we can brew animal-free fats that mimic the structures and sensory properties of animal fats. The result: tastier foods, for people and the planet.
We are expanding our team and looking to attract enthusiastic & mission-driven people to join us on our journey
We are looking for a bright and enthusiastic research assistant to support our scientists in development of yeast cell factories for production of lipids. Successful applicants will be involved in strain construction, strain cultivation, metabolite analysis, as well as various laboratory support.
Our ideal candidate should have a track record in molecular biology/microbiology, exceptional organizational skills, and a passion for using science to solve tough challenges. The candidate should also be comfortable working in the dynamic environment of a start-up company, troubleshooting challenging projects, and meeting tight deadlines.
Occasionally, some activities may require working outside of standard working hours. The position may require travel within Sweden and abroad.
Responsibilities and tasks:
- Construction of yeast strains
- Evaluation of the growth, metabolic, physiological, and performance parameters of yeast strains
- Maintenance of laboratory collections (strains, plasmids, genes, etc.)
- Laboratory support: preparation of buffers, reagents, media, etc.
- Maintenance of detailed records of scientific experiments
- Preparation of technical reports, protocols and presentations
- Candidates should hold a Bsc or Msc degree in biotechnology, bioengineering, microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, chemical engineering or a similar field
- Minimum 6 months experience performing wet lab research in industry or academia
- Good understanding of microbiology and molecular biology
- Strong experience in the usage of molecular biology methods such as PCR and recombinant DNA cloning
- Experience in working with microorganisms and using sterile technique
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Experience in construction and evaluation of yeast strains
- Experience with metabolic engineering projects
- Experience with setting up and running bioreactors for microbial bioprocesses
- Experience with analytics
- Postgraduate work experience
- Authorization to work in Sweden (Swedish work permit/citizenship or EU citizenship/permanent residence permit)
- An innovative interdisciplinary research environment where you can advance in your career
- Unique opportunity to contribute to innovative projects that solve real world problems
- Work in the lovely city of Gothenburg- Sweden’s second-largest city. Gothenburg is a seaside city that offers a great combination of city life and beautiful surrounding nature
- Flexible work hours, competitive remuneration, generous vacation package, benefits
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden.
Applications should be submitted as a single PDF file and contain the following:
- Cover letter- tell us about what excites you about this space and why you think that you’re a great fit for Melt&Marble (300 words max)
- Publication list (if relevant)
- References: contact information of 2 current/former supervisors
Application deadline: rolling. Applications will be evaluated as they are received.
If you have any questions about the position, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.