Sweden, Västra Götalands län [SE-14], Gothenburg
Melt&Marble’s mission is to enable the transition towards a more sustainable food system. We do this by using precision fermentation to develop the best and tastiest fats for plant-based foods. By engineering microbial metabolism, we can brew animal-free fats that mimic the structures and sensory properties of animal fats. The result: tastier foods, for people and the planet.
We are expanding our team and looking to attract enthusiastic & mission-driven people to join us on our journey.
We are looking for a motivated food scientist with solid experience in food product development to work on application development for Melt&Marble’s fats. You will be part of our newly established food science team and work alongside 2-3 colleagues on product characterization and application development (primarily in meat and dairy analogues). As one of the first employees in the food science division, you will have a strong influence on the application development direction at Melt&Marble, and will work cross-functionally with the other teams in the company to define further product iterations and help guide commercial strategy.
Our ideal candidate should have a strong track record in the development of different products (preferably meat analogues), strong organizational skills, and a passion for using science & technology to solve tough challenges. The candidate should also be comfortable working in the dynamic environment of a start-up company, dealing with changes and constant iterations, and troubleshooting challenging projects, and meeting tight deadlines.
Occasionally, some activities may require working outside of standard working hours. The position might require travel within Sweden and abroad.
- Helping in the development of fat & oil evaluation methodologies that will provide information and guide the strain engineering team
- Prototyping with Melt&Marble’s fats & oils across multiple food categories (especially meat & dairy analogues)
- Evaluating organoleptic properties, cooking properties, shelf-life, etc., of products containing Melt&Marble fats & oils
- Developing formulations for Melt&Marble fats & oils
- Helping in establishing QA/QC criteria for products containing Melt&Marble ingredients
- Creating showcase products for Melt&Marble’s customers, partners, and investors
- Co-developing applications together with Melt&Marble’s customers and partners
- Assisting in building out our food science lab
- Maintaining detailed records of experiments and results in Melt&Marble’s data management system
- Preparing technical reports, SOPs, and presentations
- Assisting in coordinating regulatory approval of Melt&Marble ingredients
- Bsc/Msc/PhD in Food Science, Food Technology, Agricultural Sciences, or another relevant subject
- >2 years of work experience in development & evaluation of food products (preferably meat or dairy analogues), preferably in an industrial setting
- Solid understanding of ingredient functionality, including plant-based proteins, carbohydrates, gums, hydrocolloids, fats and oils, processing aids, colours, and flavours
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Experience working with a variety of fats & oils
- Good understanding/experience with food safety, QA/QC, and HACCP
- Experience with sensory evaluation of food products
- Experience with meat science
- Experience with flavor/aroma chemistry
- Culinary experience
- Swedish/EU citizen or permanent resident
- An innovative, interdisciplinary, and fun research environment where you can advance in your career
- Unique opportunity to participate in innovative projects that solve real world problems
- Work in the lovely city of Gothenburg- Sweden’s second-largest city. Gothenburg is a seaside city that offers a great combination of city life and beautiful surrounding nature
- Flexible work hours, competitive remuneration, generous vacation package, benefits
Applications should contain the following:
- Cover letter- tell us about what excites you about this space and why you think that you’re a great fit for Melt&Marble (300 words max)
- Publication list (if relevant)
- References: contact information of 2 current/former supervisors and 1 current/former colleague
Application deadline: Rolling. We encourage interested candidates to apply early as applications might be evaluated as they are received.
If you have any questions about the position, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.