Bioprocess Engineer-Microbial Lipids
Sweden, Västra Götalands län [SE-14], Gothenburg
Melt&Marble’s mission is to enable the transition towards a more sustainable food system. We do this by using precision fermentation to develop the best and tastiest fats for plant-based foods. By engineering microbial metabolism, we can brew animal-free fats that mimic the structure and sensory properties of animal fats. The result? delicious food without compromise.
We are expanding our team and looking to attract enthusiastic & mission-driven people to join us on our journey.
We are looking for a bright, enthusiastic and experienced bioprocess engineer to work on optimizing fermentation processes for production of microbial lipids. Successful applicants will play a key role in the fermentation R&D at Melt&Marble, including evaluation of yeast strains in bioreactors, optimization of bioprocess parameters, process scale-up and DSP development. You will work closely with the strain development team and provide feedback on microbial engineering strategies. The position is mostly hands-on laboratory work, but also includes organizational tasks and supervision of others.
Our ideal candidate should be comfortable working in the dynamic environment of a startup where things move at a quick pace, priorities can change at a short notice, and your position/responsibilities evolve over time. In addition, our ideal candidate should have strong organizational skills, be comfortable with multitasking, troubleshooting challenging projects, acquiring new skills, and meeting tight deadlines.
This position might not be right for you if you prefer to work in a very structured environment, or don’t enjoy research.
Occasionally, some activities may require working outside of standard working hours. The position will require travel within Sweden and abroad.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Design and optimize microbial processes in bioreactors (batch, fed-batch, continuous) at the lab scale to improve yeast strain performance (growth, titers, rates, yields), including optimization of media, feed rates, etc.
- Oversee scale-up of bioprocesses from lab scale to pilot/demo/industrial scale (incl. coordination with external scale-up/production partners and overseeing technology transfer)
- Analyze the metabolic, physiological, and performance parameters of yeast strains in bioreactors
- Support the development of downstream processes for extraction and purification of lipids
- Assist with securing equipment for our bioprocess lab
- Supervise research assistants (as needed)
- Prepare technical reports, SOPs, and presentations
- Assist in identifying and securing IPR
- Candidates should hold a Msc or PhD in bioprocess engineering or a similar field
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant technical experience, incl. a minimum of 2 years of fulltime hands-on experience optimizing microbial fermentation processes in bioreactors (incl. optimization of media, feed rates, etc.), preferably in an industrial setting
- Experience with running batch, fed-batch, and continuous processes in bioreactors
- Experience with planning, running, standardization and data interpretation for the above
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
Additional preferred qualifications:
- Experience scaling up microbial bioprocesses to pilot, demo, and/or commercial scale (incl. experience with tech transfer)
- Experience with modelling/simulation of bioprocesses
- Experience working with DSP optimization for microbial products
- Experience with yeast fermentation
- Experience working in a start-up setting
- Authorized to work in Sweden (Sweden/EU citizen or permanent resident)
- Experience with microbial metabolic engineering projects
- Experience with lipid metabolism and microbial production of lipid products
- Experience with analytics (HPLC, GC-MS, etc.)
- Experience with quality control of bioprocesses (GMP, GLP standards)
- An innovative, interdisciplinary, and fun research environment where you can rapidly grow your skillset and advance in your career
- Unique opportunity to participate in and make meaningful contributions to innovative projects that address key global challenges
- Work in the lovely city of Gothenburg- Sweden’s second-largest city. Gothenburg is a seaside city that offers a great combination of city life and beautiful surrounding nature
- Flexible work hours, competitive remuneration, generous vacation package, benefits
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden.
Applications should contain the following:
- Cover letter- tell us about what excites you about this space and why you’re a great fit for Melt&Marble and this particular position (300 words max!)
- CV outlining your experience, educational background and key skills, including:
- Publication list (if relevant)
- References: contact information of 2 current/former supervisors and 1 current/former colleague
Application deadline: Rolling. We encourage interested candidates to apply early as applications might be evaluated as they are received.
If you have any questions about the position, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.